Search Results

Monday, August 22, 2011

Fresh Figs with Bacon and Goat Cheese


Would you believe me if I told you I bought a handful of figs to take pictures of them?

It's all because of Helene's post. That 2nd picture of the figs on the wooden pedestal looked so good that it stayed in my brain for days.

And then I borrowed David Tanis' book from the library, titled "A Platter of Figs and Other Recipes." As the title indicated, there is a picture of figs on the book cover.

My next trip to the grocery store, I saw figs by the entrance.

On sale.

That did it.

I bought a pound of them.

And so begin, the photo session.

I started with a blue background, somewhat pedestal-y.


Not completely satisfied, I reorganized.


Then I recruit hubby.


I was too close and cut off his hands. Oops!

By the time I realized it, it was too late. Hubby has gone into a strike and refused to function as a photography prop.

If only I can teach the cat to hold figs.

Next set up I like the most. That and I was done with my photo play time.


The next day came the realization: what am I gonna do with these figs?

I tried a couple of them. They were very uneventful. Not bad but not exciting either.

I went online and typed: "fig recipes." A bunch of dessert recipes turn up. Not exactly what I'm looking for. After all, I do have a cake in the refrigerator.

Redoing the search: "fig appetizer recipes."

This one, from Epicurious was one of the 1st result. I read the recipe, it calls for bacon and goat cheese. Check and check. I have bacon in the freezer and I have leftover goat cheese. Score!

It was also super easy to prepare. I spent a lot more time photographing them then the actual active prep time.


The recipe calls for sauteeing bacon over low to medium-low heat on the pan.

It took all my will power to prevent myself from eating them right away. But I resist, knowing they will be put to good use soon.

bacon, how I love thee...
Then simply cut the figs in half and brush them in balsamic vinegar. Top each fig halves with a slice of bacon and a dollop of goat cheese.


Ready to bake.


Bake in a 350 degree oven for 8 minutes. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper when it finished baking.


Tasting impressions:
YUM! This is so good. Very flavorful. I think next time I will get some figs again, and not only for photography subject :).

You can find the recipe on Epicurious here.

3 comments:

  1. I love the second and third picture.. hubby works as a good prop! I can relate, Tom does the same... he can take about 2 minutes and then gets fidgety.

    Your pictures are kicking butt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Monica! I was very happy with how these pictures turn out. Glad you liked them as well :)).

    ReplyDelete
  3. "By the time I realized it, it was too late. Hubby has gone into a strike and refused to function as a photography prop.

    If only I can teach the cat to hold figs."
    So funny,hehe.
    The pictures are beautiful,all of them actually.:-) Thank you for the recipe!I guess they will taste good even when not baked and just topped with sauteed bacon and goat cheese!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.