Search Results

Monday, August 29, 2011

Pita Bread - Finally!!!


Bread is one of those things that I love making but failed often. I know that if I follow Marie's lead and bake through the Bread Bible I will get better, but that's a discussion for another day.

When the bread failed, it's usually still in edible stage, just not the consistency or shape that I think they are supposed to be.

I'm usually blaming the failure on the dryness and high altitude climate here (5,000 feet), and my incompetence. In that order.

Pita bread, for example, I've made 4 times but this is the first time that every single one of them puff up in the oven and produce the pockets that are expected of pita bread.

Rose said that the dough needs to be wet enough otherwise it won't produce the pockets. I always thought my dough was wet enough but I know now that it's not.


What really put the icing on the cake, so to speak, is that the last bread turned out to be such a lovely shape. Completely coincidental!!! I didn't even noticed it until I organized all the bread to take the 1st photo.

And when I realized it, I decided that this heart-shaped bread deserved it's own photo.


I shared devoured this one with hubby :).

10 comments:

  1. ב''ה

    Wow, fantastic! I'm still working on getting it to puff up. Good to know it depends on the wetness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL.. Jenn.. those hearts just follow you don't they! Like you I need to work my curage up and start baking more bread as well....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, pillowy pitas--congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed that they lasted long enough to be photographed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mendy, I'm looking forward to seeing your puffed up pita bread - when you get around to it and can get away from that pretty little baby of yours :).

    Monica, yes indeed they do. I love them hearts.

    Marie, thank you!

    Lois, it was a monumental achievement. Had to be photographed :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful! Where is the recipe from?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pita bread is beautiful! I havent yet tried making my own but really should since we eat so much of it here. I can only imagine how delicious home made is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did it, Jenn. You can't tell, but I'm so excited for you!!!! I love how your oven light shines through that left pita bread. The heart shaped one is super cute! And thanks for sharing the info about the "wetness" of the dough. One of these days I'll muster enough courage to give these another try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks super yummy

    you have such a cute blog - keep on blogging :)

    have a great day further

    Betty Bake

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous, thanks for commenting. The recipe is from Rose Levy Beranbaum's The Bread Bible.

    Hanaa, awww.. thank you! I was very excited about it too :). And yes do give it a try, it's awesomely good.

    Beth Michelle and Betty, thank you so much for your comments :).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.