Search Results

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Eggplant Lentil Stew with Pomegranate Molasses


I made this dish last month but never blogged about it.

It was one of those "I don't know what to cook moments." None of the cookbooks that I have appeal to me, so I turned to the websphere.

One of the sites I went to is Elise's Simply Recipes. I used to go there more often, back when I was eating meat.

This time, I looked for non meat dishes.

I found this eggplant lentil stew. It looks good and it sounded good. And it jives with my goal to try to like lentils.

Nothing against lentils but it has no taste.

Which is not a valid argument against lentils on my part because I love rice.

Reading up on the recipe for this lentil stew, it sounded good because all the ingredients in there are flavorful and would make lentils not bland.

And boy was it not bland.

The recipe calls for 2 Anaheim peppers. At the grocery store, I saw a basket of green peppers without any sign in front of them (no they were not green bell peppers, :)). I asked the store attendant and he said they were Anaheim. I bought 1 of them and used it all. After all, the recipe called for 2 so 1 would be safe.

Or so I thought....

The stew was SPICY!!! We had a stomach ache after we ate it the 1st time.

Luckily, our stomach settled and we were able to finish the rest of the stew with no problem.

Well, my mouth burned a little but that's okay.

And I found out later on, after some research on the internet, that those were Poblanos. Which technically was on the same hotness scale with Anaheim, which are not supposed to be very hot. So either we unluckily got a hot Poblano. Or, we need to train our spicy-ness resistance!


Recipe: Eggplant Lentil Stew with Pomegranate Molasses

3 comments:

  1. That looks tasty. I love lentil stew. Try adding some curry powder to your lentil to give them more flavor as well as some cilantro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Hanaa said it does look yummy. I love lentils, my mother lentil soup specially.. no matter how many times I make it, I still cannot make it come out like hers...

    I find that lentils is like toffu, it will accept whatever flavor you put on them...and the name of the game is to go bold with those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wholesome and delicious! Perfect for cold weather!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.