Search Results

Monday, March 4, 2013

ABC: No-Knead Cherry Pecan Bread


I can't believe it's been a month since the Boston Cream Pie and is now time to bake again for ABC. I do love this monthly schedule though. And Hanaa, I love the mix between dessert/sweets and breads.

I was really looking forward to this bread! I love love love No Knead Bread. have been making the basic version of the No Knead Bread for several weeks now. This one from King Arthur is a bit different in that it uses a combination of AP flour, rye flour, and WW flour. I wonder why it uses AP instead of bread flour (which is what the original No Knead recipe uses).

I did forget to buy chocolate chips so this version has no chocolate (BOOOO!).

Except for not having chocolate, I followed the recipe on the King Arthur website instead of the blog. The blog is more thorough but the website's recipe is the one that was more similar to Jim Lahey's version. I am used to this version so it felt easier.

The bread was easy to put together. I dumped all the ingredients in the bowl and mix with a spatula. Then cover it with a plate and let it sit overnight on the counter.


After 12 hours fermentation, it looks like this. It is bigger and smells pretty yeasty (yum!).


I then dumped the bread on the floured counter, fold it like a letter and then placed it, seam side down, on a cloth that has been sprinkled with cornmeal.


Sprinkle the top of the bread with more cornmeal, fold the cloth over the bread, and let it rise for 2 hours.


I baked the bread in a preheated Cuisinart dutch oven (5 qt) for 20 minutes with a lid on, then took off the lid and continue baking for another 1/2 hour.

Ta-Da!


Yummy-looking bread.


Taste:
The bread tasted pretty good. I am a little sad that there is a slight sour taste in the dough. I don't know if it is because I forgot to use chocolate or it's because the cherries were sour (or because of both). In any case, it is fixable. I think I just need to eat it with some jam or butter or both (hmmmm....) And I of course would need to make this bread again with chocolate!

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous loaf, Jenn! The big chunks of pecans look nice in the bread (even though I can't eat them). Interesting you mention the 'sour taste'. One of my coworkers is getting into bread baking so I shared this recipe with him. We both baked this bread over the weekend and exchanged samples at work today. His had a slight sour note while mine didn't, even though we both followed the recipe on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two words Jenn - HONEY BUTTER! Yum...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting about the sour taste. I wonder if the sour results are from the dough picking up yeast in the air during that long ferment. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bread looks great! I wonder about the sour taste - mine didn't taste sour at all (I used the website recipe, not the one on the blog.
    The reason, why the KA recipe uses AP flour and not bread? King Arthur's AP flour contains 12% protein, more than many other store bought AP flours. And that is basically like bread flour (12-15% protein.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info on KA AP flour. I didn't use their AP flour brand so now I know I should or do a substitute to bread flour.

      Delete
  5. Wow, what a pretty looking loaf! No chocolate in mine as well (not so boo haha) Really nice loaf and the shot with the pecans showing is just yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look of your brown crust! Somehow mine was not as brown, but the bread was so good! I can't stop eating it! Made only half a recipe, and finished it in a day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks wonderful...and such great pictures too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.