Search Results

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Vegan Lasagna


This is a late post. I made this two months ago and just now gotten around to putting the post together.

We have been slowly eating towards a more vegetarian diet, changing up food composition so that the meat plays a more complimentary role instead of taking the center stage. I started adding more beans to numerous meal for the added proteins.With that I have been making this lasagna once every a couple of months. I so much prefer it to the cheese and meat-filled lasagna that just sits heavy on the stomach after eating. This one is full of good veggies and just as tasty as the meat version.

I have made this so often now that I don't even remember what recipe inspired me. It started with a recipe out there for sure but over the course of the year I've changed it up quite a bit. I'm using a lot more veggies and less pasta. It also has ballooned from 1 pyrex container to 2 pyrex containers now so it is enough to feed both of us for 5 days.

All the ingredients. Don't they look good?


Up close and personal eggplant.


It does take a while to chop everything up


Mise en place. I have capers on the table but decided not to use it. And as I'm writing this post I just noticed the dish soap in the upper left corner. I have no idea what the dish soap is doing there. It's definitely not added to the dish!!!


Assembled.


After an hour in the oven at 425'F.


Vegan Lasagna

Ingredients:
1 red or yellow onion - diced or sliced thinly
6 cloves of garlic, diced (feel free to use less or more)
1 medium size eggplant or 2 small ones, thinly sliced
2 zucchini, thinly sliced
cremini or white mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 russet potato, thinly sliced
1 sweet potato, thinly sliced
1 box no-bake lasagna noodle
1 16-oz can of whole peeled or plum tomatoes
oregano, parsley, basil, a handful of each
salt & pepper, to taste
1 cup of water
sliced kalamata or black lives, optional

Method:
Sliced up all the ingredients. This does take a while to do! I usually have the radio on and just started humming along as I am chopping things. If you have a mandoline you should use it. I am a klutz in the kitchen so having a mandoline is out of the question as I would definitely hurt myself with it!

Open the can of tomatoes and pour it in a food processor or in a container big enough for an immersion blender to go in. Add in the cup of water and all the spices and run the food processor or the blender.

Now you can assemble the lasagna. Pour enough tomato mixture to cover the bottom of the pan. Place several sheets of the no-bake lasagna noodle. Then start layering your vegetables. If you are using olives, you want to insert them here. I usually start with eggplant, then zucchini, potatoes, mushrooms, and sweet potato. Pour more tomato mixture, then no-bake lasagna noodle, and the vegetables slices. Repeat the process.

Bake at 425'F for an hour.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! If it weren't for my fiercely carnivorous kiddos, my husband and I would definitely be eating way less meat. Jenn, I love veg and your mis en place looks so up my alley. And your vegan lasagna looks amazing!
    xoxo
    E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin! Maybe in the future you can be partial vegan/mostly vegetarian. Veg are awesome aren't there?

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.